Xfce is very, very, very slow

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Mon Jan 13 02:52:13 CET 2014

Hello,

I do not believe that GNOME or KDE applications as Roberto J Dohnert
suggests, would consist a slowness issue. I suggest to use another
Xfce 4.10 distro instead, be it a Debian derivative such as Black Lab
Linux or any other distro.

Rants and Thoughts
------------------

I recall comparing version 9.10 of the distro in question against
Zenwalk GNU/Linux, at the time it was released, and I was astonished
and heavily outrageous to see how slow, flawed and distorted the "Xfce"
flavor of that distro was by default which was also slower than its
GNOME (version 2 at the time) flavor; that distro had the same issue
with its KDE flavor.

I suggest, based on the comparison I made when version 9.10 was
released, that the defaults of non-GNOME (or Unity) flavors are
deliberately flawed in order to turn users to GNOME3 or Unity.

Even though the above assumption is irrational, I truly believe that
Canonical LTD should focus only on their costly and beloved GNOME and
Unity desktops, because otherwise they are merely perverting KDE, LXDE,
Xfce and the true abilities of these non-GNOME desktops.

Some intro on *buntu: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxXMpO7SycA

On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 14:46:10 -0500
Roberto Dohnert <rjdohnert at gmail.com> wrote:

> Cheese, Brasero, Gnome system monitor, gnome-search-tool, Disk Usage
> Analyzer, System Profiler and Benchmark tool, gedit, empathy. All
> those applications and more have gnome dependencies and can slow down
> your machine. Also do you have GNOME or KDE side by side with XFCE?
>
> Roberto J Dohnert
> Head Developer
> Black Lab Linux
> http://www.blacklablinux.org
>

> 2014/1/11 Hartmut Haase <hha4491 at web.de>
>
> > Hi Roberto,
> >
> > Do you have any GNOME apps installed?
> >>
> > what apps do you have in mind?
> >
> > --
> > Viele Grüße,
> > Hartmut
> >
> > Hungerhilfe: http://www.thehungersite.com
> >
> > Ohne Zensur suchen:
> > http://suche.amnesty-bergedorf.de
> > Googeln ohne Google:
> > https://www.startpage.com/deu
> >
> > Das heutige Motto:
> > Das ist der ganze Jammer: die Dummen sind so sicher
> > und die Gescheiten so voller Zweifel. - Helmut Schmidt

Defending the constitution is expensive!
Help Lavabit.com by donating to the Lavabit Legal Defense Fund
http://lavabit.com/ <support at lavabit.com>