Unable to start xfce display settings

Soham Chakraborty sohamwonderpiku4u at gmail.com
Sun Feb 16 12:03:26 CET 2014

Howdy folks,

I am sure that this must had been discussed somewhere before but I can't
find the thread now. Apologies in advance for that.

Recently I got a new Dell S2240L monitor which I hooked into my Dell 6530E
laptop's HDMI port. It got detected and worked fine. I installed the nvidia
packages and from subsequent reboot onward, xfce4-display-settings won't
work. From CLI as well as from GUI.

xfce4-settings-4.10.1-2.fc18.x86_64
3.11.10-100.fc18.x86_64
xorg-x11-server-Xorg-1.13.3-3.fc18.x86_64

# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 3286 x 1080, maximum 8192 x 8192
LVDS-0 connected 1366x768+0+0 344mm x 194mm
   1366x768       60.1*+   40.1
VGA-0 connected 1920x1080+1366+0 476mm x 267mm
   1920x1080      60.0*+
   1280x1024      75.0     60.0
   1152x864       75.0
   1024x768       75.1     60.0
   800x600        75.0     60.3
   640x480        75.0     60.0
   720x400        70.1

I reinstalled the package hoping for an easy fix but that didn't work as
well. I ran few straces with the command and looks like, it can't bind to a
socket. I have the files available and can give in a personal email if
requested.

I have uninstalled all the nvidia packages and running on nouveau driver
now. The monitor is getting detected fine. I had some suspicion on the
nvidia nvs 5200M GPU as their website said no linux driver is available.
Nonetheless, things are working now, except the display settings issue. I
tried a reboot as well after moving xorg.conf file and the backups
elsewhere but after reboot, it remained the same. And X also decided to put
the same files itself in /etc/X11.

There is also one issue with the panel which is now stretched between the
two displays but I will see whether that is an auxiliary symptom of the
display settings.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Soham