Making XFCE as default on Ubuntu

John Gabriele jgabriele at fastmail.fm
Fri Aug 15 19:02:37 CEST 2014

On Fri, Aug 15, 2014, at 08:49 AM, john Culleton wrote:
> Just installed Ubuntu ( I am a Slackware guy
> usually) and then {snip}

I don't pretend to know all the dependencies required by Unity, but
Ubuntu seems rather heavyweight if all you want is Xfce. You way want to
try Debian Testing. IIRC, the Debian Testing installer even comes with a
choice (you have to navigate to it) to get the Xfce desktop right from
the get go.

Works wonderfully for me. Note though that it will require updates quite
regularly (I do `apt-get update` and `apt-get -u dist-upgrade` every few
days).

-- John