XFCE crashes when un-suspended

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Sat Apr 5 19:10:36 CEST 2014

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 22:28:29 +0200
Harold Aling <xfce at sait.nl> wrote:

> I never disable an external monitor when unplugging. I've plugged and
> unplugged numerous monitors and beamers, all without crashing Xfce. I
> currently run Ubuntu 14.04, which has xfce4-settings 4.11, but Ubuntu
> 13.10 also never failed on me.

The problem is not plugging/unplugging. It's when the notebook awakes from
suspension and finds the the projector situation changed. End-of-class is
normally hectic with student questions etc, and sometimes there's no time
for protocol.

And I would suggest that no program should crash under predictable
circumstances. Is there no way Display can handle a signal on wakeup
and check if the display situation has changed? I can imagine this problem
to appear if N monitors are connected and M (<> N) monitors after
an un-suspend. It doesn't seem so far-fetched.

PS: I am not criticising... just asking!

John