Open URL to present browser

Xan xancorreu at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 12:50:48 CEST 2013

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 10:23:35 +0200
Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> ha escrit:

> On Thu, 2013-09-26 at 09:15 +0200, Xan wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to make a suggestion:
> >
> > Is it possible to implement this feature:
> >
> > when user click on URL in external application, then open URL in:
> > - 1) opening browser
> > - 2) if no openning browser, then his favorite...?
> >
> > Now all URL are open in favorite browser, but it's annoying if you have for example chromium open with 20 tabs and have wait seconds for opening firefox...
> >
> > Of course this behaviour could be disable in preferences menu.
> >
> > I think it's not too difficult to implement...
> >

> > Thanks in advance,
> > Xan.
> >
> > PS: I'm just a simple user.
>
> That's a bad idea. The opened browser might have insecure settings,
> because the user use it for trustworthy sites only, but when click a
> link e.g. in an email the default browser with secure settings should be
> used.

First of all, thank for the script. Good. By the other hand, yes. You are right: what if there are several open browsers.

I think the "good" solution is to have several "prefered" browsers (by priority). But this is much effort solution and I understand you want not to implement.

thanks another time,
Xan.