Tiling windows on multiple displays

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Sun Oct 27 09:54:25 CET 2013

On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 12:53:16AM +0100, Hassen wrote:
> I like to arrange the windows by tiling them to the left or the
> display setup, however I'm using a second monitor and I would like
> to be able to move the window from the first display to the second
> as-well.
>
> Is this possible ? or needs to be implemented ?

Are you using Xinerama or not? If not, then it is handled by the program
and needs implementation there. The only program that actualy does that is
(as far as I know) GIMP. You can go to View, Move to Screen and select the
Screen :0.0, Screen :0.1 and so on.

As far as I know there is no way to move programs from e.g. DISPLAY=:0.0
to DISPLAY=:0.1 once the program is running, except when the program (like
GIMP) does this for you.

If you do not use Xinerame (e.g. you can already drag from monitor 1 to
monitor 2) then the solution might be found on
http://makandracards.com/makandra/12447-how-to-move-a-window-to-the-next-monitor-on-xfce-xubuntu
and
http://icyrock.com/blog/2012/05/xubuntu-moving-windows-between-monitors/

Another way might be to use wmctrl.

Don't be afraid when people say Xubuntu. It is just XFCE where it works. I
run openSUSE and there it works as expected.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: