XFCE 4.10 freezes windows in upper left hand corner.

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Wed May 29 18:31:06 CEST 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-29 at 12:12 -0400, john Culleton wrote:
> On Tue, 28 May 2013 22:04:00 -0400
> Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 17:27 -0400, john Culleton wrote:
> > > When I fire up Seamonkey, a version of Mozilla, it goes to the upper
> > > left hand corner and can't be moved. The file menu won't work. I
> > > had to use <ctrl> Q to kill it.
> > >
> > > KDE has neither of these problems.
> > >
> > > I have xrandr in play to get a more reasonable size of objects on my
> > > screen. Could that be the problem?
> >
> > Is XFWM4 (the XFCE Window Manager" running? If not, then you'll never
> > get to put the windows anywhere you want and only will they show up
> > cemented/frozen to the upper left hand corner.
> >
> > Do the "alt-F2" thing and type in "xfwm4" and run... I'm betting
> > that'll fix it.
> >
> Why do I need to do this every time? It seems to me that his would be
> automatic when I select XFCE as my GUI du jour.

When you "logout" there will be a check mark area "Save Session for
Future Logins"... check that mark.

That way you can have things automagically start. I have Pidgin, Skype,
Dropbox, and a few other things start automagically.

Once you get your desktop the way you want it... make sure that box is
checked... logout... and then login again.

From then on, make sure the check mark is *NOT* checked... and it will
bring up things like you want them.

greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"Once you say you're going to settle for second, that's what happens to
you in life."
    -- John F. Kennedy