Proposal: Faenza icon theme as a default

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Thu May 23 05:06:38 CEST 2013

On Wed, 22 May 2013 11:17:36 +0200
killermoehre <killermoehre at gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 22.05.2013 09:50, schrieb jEsuSdA 8):
> > El 22/05/13 05:03, Genghis Khan escribió:
> >> yet it would be preferable, in my humble opinion, to have it
> >> available in repositories.
> >

> > Then, it could be included optionally in the project so distros
> > could be pack it in repositories.
> >
> > Some linke:
> >
> > xfce4-icon-theme-faenza
> > xfce4-icon-theme-elementary
> >
> > It will be a great solution: does not increase the xfce size, but
> > allow users to easily install these nice icon themes (like the gtk
> > or xfwm themes)
> >
> > What do you think?
I concur. And this would be the best choice, by my view.

Faenza-Xfce relevant references:
http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/Faenza-Xfce?content=142885
https://github.com/shimmerproject/Faenza-Xfce

Slackware
http://slackbuilds.org/result/?search=faenza-xfce&sv=

> Faenza has nothing to do with xfce. I my eyes the simplest solution
> would be that the distributor decides which theme is shipped as
> standard in the meta package based on the distributions style
> guidelines. If you install xfce without meta package, you don't get a
> default icon theme. Why should the desktop environment decide which
> icon theme is to use?
I concur.

> Are we GNOME?

What do you mean?

I think having an icon set that is associated with or characterizing a
desktop environment, like Rodent-icon-theme used to be, is a good idea.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/xffm/files/rodent-icon-theme/

Concerning to GNOME, I want to add that they have made the best set for
folders by making icon sets that have folders only while inheriting
another icon theme (see Inherits=gnome in index.theme of Crux and
Mist themes), which I find usable, though this should be flexible, e.g.
Inherits=default instead of fixed methods such as Inherits=FIXED.

P.S. I was last using GNOME over 5 years ago so I am not sure how much
of their policies, regarding to icons, have changed so I may be
missing something.

--
Proper English www.reddit.com/r/proper
4 teh lulz... http://email.is-not-s.ms