The future of Xfce (or beating the Gtk3 horse to death)

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Sat Mar 23 10:58:38 CET 2013

On Sat, Mar 23, 2013 at 05:53:01AM +0100, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> that would be
> 	[Shift-Alt-Page_Up]
> and
> 	[Shift-Alt-Page_Down]

I use multiple desktops, but then I also have multiple monitors. I have 4,
but I use 2 actively. That way I seldom have to lower windwows.

> You might also like:
> 	[Alt-F9]
> shades and unshades the currently focussed window.

I edit the doubleclick on the menubar to do the shade and unshade.
Something I picked up from Windowmaker.

> I like to start a terminal with [Windows-X]. Since I am on a German
> keyboard, the X-key sits right above the windows key -- where your Z-key
> is.

In the past I worked with the Azerty keyboard (Belgian and French) but I
switched to the standard Qwerty. When you do a little bit (or a lot) of
scripting and programming, it is so much easier to use, because the
selection of keys are done by people working on a qwerty keyboard.

This can be very small things. e.g. searching in vim down is done with '/'
and up with '?'. This did not make any sense, till I started working with
qwerty. They are on the same key and the ? is above the /, so obviously ?
is up and / is down.

ZZ to save and exit in vim is also logical on a qwerty, because the
keys are right next to each other. Using that an azerty is much harder and
using <ESC>wq much easier. So much that you wonder why they made the ZZ
option.

And I do not even want to start talking about `~[{<> and many other things
where you have to use left or right Alt keys.

At work I also use qwerty, which is sometimes a pain if others want to
type in something. :-D

When I really got into computers, I started with Windows 3.1and later Win95
>From then on to Linux.
I never go the idea of the use of desktop icons. I think it is silly to
have icons behind your programs so that you need to minimize or get those
programs out of the way to reach them.
I also never liked the idea of 1 start button with all the programs, so
the launcher with XFCE is what I really like. I can group my programs just
as I like. And with Alacarte, I can still have the menu, but leave out any
programs I do not like to be there.

What I read in these postings is that everybody likes XFCE for different
reasons and uses it in their own way. I hope that does not go away. The
standard should be acceptable, but the user should still be in charge and
have it as easy as possible to do any change he or she desires.

So with every implementation, tools to do those changes are just as if not
more important to be developed.

houghi
--
For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I
have good luck and write better than I can.