Whisker Menu an alternate application launcher for Xfce

Graeme Gott graeme at gottcode.org
Wed Jun 26 19:35:30 CEST 2013

On 06/26/2013 01:00 PM, Landry Breuil wrote:

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14674597/cc1plus-error-unrecognized-command-line-option-std-c11-with-g

> Unless
>>>>
>>> Would it be possible to relax this requirement, so that people on
>>> Ubuntu Precise could use your plugin?
>>
>> Unfortunately there is a bug in the GCC 4.6 (the compiler of Ubuntu
>> Precise) and the released version of my plugin doesn't work with it even
>> if you relax it to -std=c++0x. I will be making a bugfix release in the
>> next few days that works on Ubuntu Precise (and PPA packages for it as
>> well).
>
> Sorry to insist on that, but why forcing the use of c++0x or c++11 over
> potential users who cant easily find compatible compilers ? Why not
> "downgrading" the code to be regular c++ ? Think of the ones using older
> debian/ubuntu stable, or the BSDs who stick to GPLv2 gcc 4.2 until a better
> solution is found ?

I am converting it to C++98 after seeing the huge response the plugin
has gotten, but that will be in the next feature release instead of a
bugfix release because it requires changing basically every single file.
Whisker Menu is C++11 only because it started out as a pet project and I
really wasn't expecting this much interest in it when I made it public.

Cheers,
Graeme