Hooking to window movement

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Thu Jun 20 20:48:41 CEST 2013

On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 01:17:46PM +0200, killermoehre wrote:
u> Probably not. You would need some daemon monitoring all window sizes and
> positions. Maybe you can hack something together with libwnck and some
> binding to an higher level language knowing about callbacks.

Not sure if it is possible, but Devilspie might be able to do that.
I use it to handle the things that were possible with Windowmaker, but
unpossible with XFCE.

If that does not work, you could write a script that does what you want it
to do. That will not be instantaneously, but perhaps fast enough. Run it
in a loop as a deamon with some 'sleep' command and 'nice' it.

What I do is not run in Xinerama. That way I have each monitor the
workspace that I want. e.g. if I am watching a movie on one screen, I can
still change workspaces on the other and keep watching the movie.

Or I have browsers open on one and HTML code on the other monitor. I can
switch workspaces to switch browser while I still have the code in front
of me.

The disadvantage is that I can not drag between monitors. So that will be
depending on you way of working. I love it that way. I seldom resize or
move programs. Each has its own place.

As always YMMV.

houghi
--
I do not want life insurance.
I want all people to be genuinely grieving when I die.

							houghi