The future of Linux

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jun 10 23:38:59 CEST 2013

On Tue, 11 Jun 2013, Chris Angelico wrote:

> I think Xfce is the future desktop for OS/2. It's so close to the PMShell
> / WorkPlace Shell that it could almost become it. No, I don't think
> anything's dying. :)

ChrisA,

   Xfce is quite close to the CDE desktop on several flavors of UNIX. That's
why some old timers don't like it. OTOH, when I moved exclusively to linux
in 1997 I found vfwm, Gnome, and KDE too Windows-like for my Microsoft
tolerance level (which is somewhere below zero). I've used Xfce on all hosts
since then and find no reason to change. But, I also don't use all the
graphical tools that now come with it; it's mainly multiple virtual
'desktops' for me.

Rich