Keyboard/mouse control of Z-order?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 18:14:22 CET 2013

On Sun, Feb 24, 2013 at 3:56 AM, John Coppens <john at jcoppens.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Feb 2013 21:09:09 +1100
> Chris Angelico <rosuav at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Alternatively, I might be able to manage with a "bring other window to
>> top" option, but that plays badly with point-for-focus and would also
>> require that the action command involve the mouse (which I can't seem
>> to make the shortcuts window do, though there may be another way to do
>> this).
>
> You know there is a click-to-raise option? You can set the focus to follow
> the mouse, but not raise the window till clicked. It resulted the most
> productive mode here. I can still paste to a partially hidden window,
> but have to click to raise it.

Yes, aware of that one, and it's possible that workflows could be
adjusted to handle that method. But as a programmer, I've gotten used
to the notion that the computer can be adjusted to suit the human, not
always the other way around :)

The other aspect of this is that I'm looking to nominate a 64-bit
successor to OS/2 + Presentation Manager + WorkPlace Shell in our
house. It's looking like Linux + Xfce is the closest option, but with
quite a few caveats and imperfect translations. So the more I can make
things work the same, the less "glitchy" it'll be to move across the
VirtualBox boundary. I'd really like to be able to work, and have
other people work, the same way with an OS/2 app as with a Linux one.

ChrisA