Keyboard/mouse control of Z-order?

killermoehre killermoehre at gmx.net
Sat Feb 23 09:44:44 CET 2013

Am 23.02.2013 04:18, schrieb Chris Angelico:
> Hi!
Hi.

> Just this week switched to Xfce (my fingers keep wanting to type
> XKCD)
Yeah, XKCD!

> from GNOME, and finding it pretty comfortable. In fact, Xfce is
> so close to what I'm looking for that I make bold enough to inquire
> about some of my favorite OS/2 features.
>
> Is it possible to set up a key/mouse command that moves a window in
> the Z order? With our OS/2 boxes, we have it configured so that
> Ctrl-Alt-RightButton will move the window under the mouse backward one
> slot (and Ctrl-Alt-LeftButton moves the mouse one window upward,
> toward the top). I've poked around in the settings and on Google
> without finding a way to do this, but that doesn't prove it's not
> there.
I'm using 4.10 here, but AFAIK this option was already available in 4.8.
Try Shift + Alt + PageUp/PageDown.
You can set the keybinding in the xfwm4-settings → Keyboard \
→ Raise window
→ Lower window

> I'm a programmer, so if this requires a bit of code to implement, I'm
> not afraid to do it. It's perhaps a niche feature, but once you get
> accustomed to it, it's extremely handy.
I think you will _love_ libwnck with wmctrl as bash frontend for
implementing own actions.

> Platform: Debian Wheezy amd64
> Xfce version 4.8
At least not 4.6 *shudder*