ANNOUNCE: xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.3 released

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Tue Feb 19 10:36:38 CET 2013

Am 19.02.2013 10:06, schrieb Guido Berhoerster:

[...]

> OK, thanks for the explanation. Since their data seems to be
> freely available under CC-BY would it be an option to host it
> under xfce.org similar to http://geoip.xfce.org/ in order to
> bypass restrictions?

Regarding this, I am the wrong person to ask, maybe Nick could answer
this question for you. Certainly it would imply extra maintenance work,
and I'm not sure how much space is required to host that database. Maybe
it would be easier to discuss this with the GeoNames database
maintainer, to negotiate and negate some restrictions, or how misuse is
handled.

All in all, I don't expect the restrictions to be a severe limitation,
and that data is not *vital* to the proper functioning of the plugin and
can be gained by other means, though manually and a bit more difficult.
The GeoNames database is only used for setting up the plugin, there are
no continuous queries. And I do not believe there will be *that* many
weather plugin users setting up the plugin simultaneously. You might
look a bit at how that piece of the dialog has been done and make up
your own opinion about it.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'