ANNOUNCE: xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.3 released

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Tue Feb 19 08:06:11 CET 2013

Am 18.02.2013 22:56, schrieb Guido Berhoerster:
> Is there a way to completely disable the GeoNames usage? Using
> an account tied to a person is at least for the case of openSUSE
> not viable.

No. You can still use the default name which is tied to me ;-), but the
more distributions do this, the more likely it will be the credits get
exhausted. However, I don't have any numbers how many people use the
plugin. Alternatively, you could use the GeoNames demo account which
gets exhausted regularly, but I guess this would be impolite, if not
even against GeoNames' terms of usage.

Note there is also no protection against maliciousness, and the compile
time option is only there as a precaution, to distribute the requests a
bit. There are many idiots out there, and maybe it will be necessary to
make the username exposed in the config GUI and force the user to
register, but I hope not and will try to avoid it. Time will show, I
tried to keep it simple.

Anyway: If requests to the GeoNames API are not successful, 0 will be
returned for the altitude and the timezone entry will be left empty
(which means local time will be used), and users will have to provide
these values manually.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'