Upgrade from 13.04 to 13.10 has broken my system, no X desktop

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Fri Dec 27 21:33:30 CET 2013

On Fri, 2013-12-27 at 19:29 +0000, Chris Green wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 08:25:19PM +0100, Liviu Andronic wrote:
> > On Fri, Dec 27, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > > I just upgraded my system from xubuntu 13.04 to 13.10.
> > >
> > This sounds more like an Xubuntu issue rather than an Xfce one.
> > Consider addressing it to xubuntu-users.
> >

> OK, yes I've done that, and removing ~/.config/xfce has got my desktop
> back (without any customisations of course).

This typically points at a change that was made in the distro...

You could have moved ~/.config/xfce to ~/.config/xfce.orig and recovered
changes.

But since this is XFCE, it doesn’t take long to re-setup your
desktops... that is at least when I start afresh on a new machine
without transferring things.

Also, you probably had a config setting in there that was no longer able
to be executed properly or was segfaulting the display manager. Perhaps
a previously installed package that wasn't brought forward in XUbuntu
13.10 and is missing something that was updated...

Could be nearly anything.
greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C
"Friendship is Love without his wings!"
    -- Lord Byron