XFCE not working in different DISPLAYs

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Tue Dec 24 18:50:47 CET 2013

On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 01:02:16PM +0100, killermoehre wrote:
> Hi houghi,
>
> Sounds like xfdesktop is not running on some screens. Maybe you find
> some logs where the crash report is listed. Or you start it from the
> terminal and wait for the crash for an error report.

Thanks for already pointing in the right direction.

It is an xfdesktop issue apparently. It is running (on 2, 3 or 4 screens),
but it runs only once for all of them. I tried restarting and that did not
change anything. So I thought if I can not start it (because it has
already started) I will kill it. A `killall xfdesktop` did a restart of
xfdesktop and that set all correctly somehow.

So now I know where to start looking, what are the logfiles I need to be
aware of? What do I need to watch?

As this happens on both an update of 13.1 openSUSE and a clean install, it
might be a bug. And it would be good if I could find it and not just run
the workaround.

I understand that this might be not directly related to XFCE and not
everybody has the same configuration as I do. So it might as well be
NVidea drivers or what not. Still would be nice to find a real solution.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: