Screen Brightness: Sony Vaio

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 24 17:11:03 CET 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-24 at 07:50 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    We have a Sony Vaio running Slackware-14.0/x86_64 and the Fn-F5 button has no effect
> on screen brightness. I rummaged around in the Settings -> Settings Editor
> -> Display dialog box and changed the screen brightness from the default 12
> to 6. After rebooting there's no difference.
>
>    What am I missing here? A pointer on how to make the screen dimmer will be
> much appreciated.
>
> Thanks in advance and happy holidays to all,

I don't know, but I noticed that turning off screen blanking by Xfce
settings, using another Linux distro, for my tube monitor doesn't work,
so I turned it of by xorg.conf. I now can enable screen blanking by
Xfce, but also can turn it off by Xfce, when watching a video or doing
an audio production.

IOW, I can't help you, but perhaps it's a similar issue and you should
search for a xorg.conf solution.