Xfce Default Configuration

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Sun Dec 22 15:22:33 CET 2013

On Sun, 22 Dec 2013, Bob Goodwin - Zuni, Virginia, USA wrote:

> On 12/22/2013 07:59 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>>> If you prefer it the flashy fashion way, you're free to use Mint, but as
>>                   "things";)

> Exactly! Those of us who use XFCE don't want it "simplifies" or "prettied."
> We use it because it can be configured to do what we want.
>
> Don't change direction, it is good as it has been going.

I think people are over-reacting to Nigel Verity's posting. As I
read it, he wasn't suggesting any radical change in Xfce: not any
simplification or change of the minimalist philosophy, just a minor
tweak of the default, out-of-the-box appearance.

I don't care for wallpapers of any sort myself, but I take his point
about the default look of the labels for desktop icons. IMO this is
quite ugly and off-putting, and moreover it's not obvious to a new
user how to change it since that has to be done by editing
~/.gtkrc-2.0 and restarting the desktop.

--
Allin Cottrell
Department of Economics