Xfce Default Configuration

Nigel Verity nigelverity at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 22 00:42:35 CET 2013

Hi

I am a big Xfce fan, having rejected Unity, Gnome 3 and even Cinnamon. There must be a lot of people looking for an alternative desktop, and Xfce is always mentioned as a safe refuge for computer users who prefer a traditional layout. By using compositing and transparency I have created a sophisticated, visually attractive desktop. However, as a fairly experienced user I can find my way around the configuration settings, and even edit some files directly to get exactly the look I want. For a new user, particularly one new to Linux, I feel that that Xfce does not "sell" itself well.

The default appearance is drab and does nothing to indicate the kind of look that can be achieved. I believe that even something as simple as changing the default wallpaper would be a good start. It's not a problem with the logo, rather the lack of visual interest. A look at the default Mint wallpaper shows the benefits of a more modern appearance. Making the icon label background transparent by default, as can be achieved by modifying gtkrc-2.0, would also be an improvement.

Of course none of this should matter. Functionality and stability should be everything but, in the real world, appearances and perceptions are what draw people to any product. I feel that smartening up the default configuration or, at the very least, expanding the xfce.org website to show some of the more advanced visuals that can be achieved, can only be beneficial.

Nige