Missing character on keyboard

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Mon Dec 2 19:09:14 CET 2013

On Mon, Dec 02, 2013 at 05:36:05PM +0000, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> My fault, it had not occurred to me. Since the character ^ is used
> by dc to calculate the power I was looking for a similar 'special'
> character for the square root. I suddenly wondered if it was simply
> the letter v. And indeed it was. I just did not think of it as a
> normal letter. Put it down to another senior moment.

Happens to the best of us (and to me as well)

For future reference, for when it is needed, I use the following:
http://www.hermit.org/Linux/ComposeKeys.html
That makes it possible to make something like 10⁷ or 10³ or 2⁷⁸ or
whatever. And even 5₂ and the like. There also is a difference between
x and ×.

However the most important feature of using the compose key is that you
can assign it to anything you desire. The ideal key to use as compose key
is (for obvious reasons) the CAPS-LOCK key.

http://milkandtang.com/blog/2013/02/22/using-caps-lock-as-a-compose-key-in-xfce4/
http://bapoumba.free.fr/?p=172

This was just posted for future reference.

houghi
--
This is written under the inluence of the following: