prohibit iconization?

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Mon Aug 5 19:45:53 CEST 2013

On Mon, Aug 05, 2013 at 12:50:57PM +0200, killermoehre wrote:
> You could build a command with wmctrl or more generic with
> libwnck/gtk/gobject. Never tried this, so I don't know if this would work.

[ALT][TAB] cyles through the programs, including minimized ones.

All the rest below can be ignored. ;-)

I would also look as to WHY they minimize the programs. If it is a
shortcut, disable or edit it. If it is because it is to close to the other
things they want to use (e.g. the close button) move it to the other side.

You could also use devilspie to disable the minimize button.

If there are only a limited amount of programs that are used, a solution
could be as follows (e.g. with 4 programs used)
Example I use with Firefox, Geekie and some other programs.
1) Decide what Workspace each program will use
2) start it up on that desktop by deafult
3) Remove all borders and run it maximized and below (so that other
programs will always be above it)

A sample for Geeqie. The file is ~/.devilspie/geeqie.ds

; generated_rule Geeqie
( if
( begin
( is ( window_name ) "Geeqie" )
)
( begin
( undecorate )
( maximize )
( set_workspace 2 )
( below )
( println "match" )
)
)

I still can use shortcuts to minimize, if I so desire, but basically the
programs open when I log in and they are there when I need them and always
in the same place. They take a minimal amount of memory and CPU cycles. In
fact so much that  do not notice if they are all open or not.

Note: When you close, remember the desktop setting and open it and
everything will be where it was, except Firefox, so I close xterm without
Firefox with remembering the setting. Log back in and close the next time
without remembering the settings.

Firefox I launch with a script.

As an asside, with me it is a bit more complicated, because I have 4
screens, so I need to also start with e.g. 'DISPLAY=0:2 firefox -P main'
and 'DISPLAY=0:1 firefox -P secondary'

houghi
--

					This space left blank intentionaly