prohibit iconization?

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Sat Aug 3 14:51:16 CEST 2013

On Sat, Aug 03, 2013 at 02:17:46PM +0200, killermoehre wrote:
> Am 03.08.2013 13:28, schrieb Ulli Horlacher:
> > Can one prohibit iconization at all?
> >
> > Problem: some of my users are overcharged by the concept of programs
> > running not visible, but iconized.
> >
> > I know one can remove the iconize window button, but this does not always
> > help, because applications like firefox can start in iconized mode.
> >

> Hi Ulli,
>
> I would suggest you use something like devilspie to apply a rule, that
> unminimize everything.

You can still minimize programs. So you need to at least see that
shortcuts can not minimize anything.

Depending as to why you want to do this, you could also read
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Kiosk-HOWTO.html

Yes, it is outdated, but it could be used to steal some ideas.

If it is only so a person can visit websites, the best would be to use
Opera as browser and use it in kiosk mode.
http://www.opera.com/docs/switches/ If that is what is needed, what I
would do is run Opera in kiosk mode directly from boot without using
passwords. Not even using XFCE.

Again: this all depends on what the need is. Could be utterly useless what
I propose.

houghi
--
It's people. Source code is made out of people! They're making our
source out of people. Next thing they'll be breeding us like cattle