GUI password changer

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Wed Apr 24 07:11:45 CEST 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 03:45 +0200, Jaap Winius wrote:

> Is there a password changer available for Xfce, equivalent to
> 'passwd'? I'm using Debian wheezy with Xfce 4.8.0.3 and if one is
> already included I haven't yet managed to find it. If no actual Xfce
> solutions are available, what would be a good alternative?

I recommend to stay away from GNOME crap when ever possible. IMO for
this task the command line anyway is more comfortable. However, did you
already test, if gnome-system-tools does support changing the password?

IIRC it will add "User and groups" or similar to "Menu > Settings".

Why not running a script by a launcher?

[root at archlinux rocketmouse]# cat /usr/local/sbin/xfce4-passwd
#!/bin/bash

echo -n "Username: "
read username
su -c "passwd $username"

exit

To ensure that the permissions are ok, run

[root at archlinux rocketmouse]# chmod a+x /usr/local/sbin/xfce4-passwd
[root at archlinux rocketmouse]# chown root:root /usr/local/sbin/xfce4-passwd

Don't forget to check "[x] Run in terminal" for the launcher.
You first are asked for the root password by "su" to get the permission to change a password.

Regards,
Ralf