whither xfce4-mixer?

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 14:21:09 CEST 2013

Le 13/04/2013 09:41, Guido Berhoerster a écrit :
> Since the current xfce4-mixer is closely tied to that API it would
> need to be moved to a different mixer API, the only one I can think of
> is pulseaudio, which everyone else seems to be using now. But that
> would basically mean a rewrite from scratch, not something that I and,
> I suppose, Jannis have time for. So it depends on somebody stepping up
> to do that work.
Hello,

Well, I think the Xubuntu devs could help, since xubuntu has already
since years :
- xfce4-volumed-pulse, a fork of xfce4-volumed.
I packaged it for Archlinux's AUR [1] : it works very well with my
vanilla Xfce.

May be it could be accepted upstream ?

- pavucontrol as audio mixer
I use it too, but I can't call it from the Audio Mixer panel plugin
which calls xfce4-mixer - xubuntu has indicator-sound-gtk2 [2] for the
panel, which calls pavucontrol.

But pavucontrol is slow to appear, even on a high-end machine. A lighter
xfce4-mixer based on PA would be nice. To code that, one could look into
the code of pavucontrol.

Just my 2 cents.

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xfce4-volumed-pulse/
[2] Which is a mess to compile, since it depends on libindicator,
libido, and other stuff. None of which are packaged for Arch.