Marketing and Propaganda

Allin Cottrell cottrell at wfu.edu
Wed Sep 26 15:41:05 CEST 2012

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, Liviu Andronic wrote (a propos the idea
that Xfce needs a name change and/or a new logo):

> A name change would make Xfce lose the recognition it
> currently has, and a logo change wouldn't necessarily
> improve things. (As far as I go Xfce's mouse is symbolic of
> Xfce's speed and flexibility. And I find it cute, really.)

Plus one. Xfce is great as it is, and people "know where to
find it", either on their own or via the Fedora "Xfce spin",
Xubuntu and so on. IMO a name change would just be a set-back
(and might convey the wrong impression of some major change of
direction).

However, one "advertising" point that might be made more
strongly is that Xfce is very nicely XDG compliant. Lots of
things that might otherwise be complex to set up "just work"
because of the XDG connection.

Allin Cottrell