ANNOUNCE: xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.2 released

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Thu Sep 20 15:05:34 CEST 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Harald Judt <h.judt at gmx.at> wrote:
>> 0.8.0 configures fine with xfce4-dev-tools-4.10.0.
>> 0.8.0 fails to configure with xfce4-dev-tools-4.8.0.
>> 0.7.4 configures fine with xfce4-dev-tools-4.8.0.
>
> Could be this one then:
> http://git.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin/commit/?id=2b202977830b2c61e5cfa34768ae88fb9c02fb6b
>
> Though I don't know what's wrong with it, I only followed the instructions
> in bug #6920. Could you try reverting the commit and see if that helps, so
> we know for sure?
>

> Anyway, this only affects people compiling from git, right? The official
> 0.8.2 tar.bz2 package you can download shouldn't need any changes. So if

OK, I guess this counts as user stupidity. For some reason I was under
the impression that the proper place to grab the released source
archives was git.xfce.org. But it turns out that the archives there
are simply snapshots of the GIT source at the time of teh release, and
_not_ proper source archives that are published at
archive.xfce.org/src/ .

> xfce4-dev-tools-4.10.0 works and can be used with 4.8.0 for compiling git
> HEAD I don't think we should spend too much time on this.

There is this, but given my comment above there is no point in
spending time on this. The only improvement I can think of, if the
infrastructure permits it, is to have in git.xfce.org not only
snapshot archives, but also links to the actual source archives. Say,
http://git.xfce.org/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin/tag/?id=xfce4-weather-plugin-0.8.2
would contain a link to
http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-weather-plugin/0.8 .
Or have the goodies.xfce.org websites for each app link to this
archive, so that users can identify latest releases and source
archives. (In my experience these websites are often outdated.)

>>> That's a good idea. Either make an option for selecting what is shown on
>>> the
>>> left side (weekdays, dates, maybe both), or add another column on the
>>> right
>>> (but then that might not look very nice).
>>>
>> On the right side it might be too cluttered, indeed. But building on
>> your idea, I would suggest using a scheme similar to that used by
>> OrageClock: A user-configurable string similar to '%A (%d %b)' would
>> result in 'Wednesday (19 Sep) being displayed. Allow only the use of
>> relevant 'date' macros, and provide some sensible defaults, and the
>> implementation would be flexible and useful.
>

> On a second thought, isn't that a bit overkill? I mean, "today" and

Not necessarily. Select 10 forecast days and you will have two
Saturdays, without any proper identification for each.

> "tomorrow" are quite clear to me, easier to grasp than a date which you have
> to translate into a weekday ("Now what weekday is that date? Oh yeah, that
> is today."). If you need to know the date, why not simply look at the
> calendar or datetime plugin? Using such strings seems ok for a calendar or
> clock where that is the main interest, but here I think they may even mess
> up the layout of the forecast window, and then you have to care about the
> parsing too etc.

I still think that there is value to this idea, notwithstanding the
additional overhead from actually implementing the feature, so I'll
drop it on the tracker for discussion.

> [...]
>

>> This reminds me: It would be nice if a tooltip defined what met.no
>> means by the morning/afternoon/evening/night breakdown. Morning could
>> mean anything from 0 to 6h or from 6h to 12h, etc. The info could get
>> inside parentheses alongside the label, too.
>

> Ok, I'll look into it another time, currently too much other stuff piling
> up.

I'll put this on the tracker, too.

Thanks
Liviu