ANNOUNCE: xfce4-weather-plugin 0.8.2 released

Harald Judt h.judt at gmx.at
Wed Sep 12 20:44:12 CEST 2012

Hi,

Am 12.09.2012 17:48, schrieb Olivier Duchateau:
> 2012/9/12 Bela Markus <bmarkus at hasix.org>:
>> In general 'About' is showing version number, credits, link to authors WEB.
>> See Xfce4 panel itself and other plugins. I updated package in Tiny Core
>> Linux and durung a test wanted to check wether I'm using the old or new
>> version. Link to the page is great inside of 'About'. How can I check
>> version when it is on the panel?

You could look at the panel output in a console, it should be written
there on plugin startup. I'm not sure whether you have to enable
debugging output for that or not. In the former case, check the new
debugging section in README to see how to do that. It may be a bit less
comfortable, but then I guess you won't need to do that very often.

BTW, other plugins don't even have an info button.
xfce4-screenshooter-plugin-1.8.1 has one, but clicking on it brings up
an error message telling it was unable to start a "xfhelp4" child
process. The application menu has one too labeled "Help" but clicking it
asks you if you want to see the online documentation (xfce-4.10). The
same with the other plugins I use.

How about adding the version number to the details page or to some other
place instead, perhaps show it in the configuration dialog? Or do you
really want a separate dialog? Author information is available in a
seperate file, and there's TODO and these files which won't ever be
accessible via a dialog.

> I've made patch [1], which show 'About' window.
>
> [1]  http://code.google.com/p/xfce-ports/source/browse/misc/xfce4-weather-plugin/files/patch-panel-plugin__weather.c?name=4.10

Ok, that's a good start. I'll have a closer look at it later.

Harald

--
`Experience is the best teacher.'