where does xfce get info on luks flash drives?

Todd And Margo Chester toddandmargo at gmail.com
Mon Sep 10 20:44:42 CEST 2012

> Hi All,
>
> When I insert a LUKS encrypted flash drive, I get an icon
> that says "7.6 GB encrypted drive".  Where does Xfce get
> this information?   (I need this info for a script.)
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Hi All,

Figured out a way to solve my problem.

I am looking for a "particular" encrypted stick, not any
old encrypted stick.  So I piled five other stick in all
my front panel open ports.  Then I checked /dev/disk/by-id.
Then I inserted that particular stick.  Got the same by-id.
Then I removed them all and only reinserted that particular
stick.  Got the same by-id.  Then I removed that stick,
rebooted, waited for everything to settle, and inserted
that stick.  Got the same by-id.

As"by-id" gives me the device number.  I now know how to
locate that particular stick, which is what I wanted all
along.  I can now start coding.

It would be nice to know how Xfce knows a stick is
encrypted, but I no longer need that information
for the task at hand.

-T