three monitors with Xfce?

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Tue Oct 30 00:03:35 CET 2012

On Mon, Oct 29, 2012 at 03:41:52PM -0700, Ray Andrews wrote:
> All,
>
> Trying to get a third monitor working here.  I come close but no
> cigar, so maybe the first question I should ask is if Xfce even
> supports this.

Running three monitors, so yes. I have NVidia cards. No experience with
other types.

Running it is pretty easy and this is the process I do on a new install
1) Do the installation
2) Install the propriotory NVidia software. With openSUSE I just add the
repo, but downloading from the NVidia site is possible as well. I install
the drivers as well as nvidia-settings
3) Log out from X and go to tty1, log in as root and run `nvidia-xconfig`.
4) Reboot and in XFCE become root in a terminal and run nvidia-settings
5) Log out and back in.

GPU 0 is GeForce GT 520
	CRT-0 1920 x 1200 ( DISPLAY 0.0 )
	CRT-1 1920 x 1080 ( DISPLAY 0.2 )
GPU 1 is GeForce 8400 GS
	CRT-1 1920 x 1200 ( DISPLAY 0.1 )

The reason I run XFCE and not GNOME or KDE is because I can have my
seperate X screens on all screens. Something I was unable to do with KDE
or GNOME.

houghi
--
"Unix never says 'please'."