nautilus default file manager

Maximilien Noal noal.maximilien at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 18:41:10 CEST 2012

On 26/10/2012 18:24, hha4491 wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> I found it. It looks like it is intended to work only with Thunar. Maybe
> you can find the sources somewhere to change it.
Hello,

It should be way less of a problem with the latest Xfce software.

When Nautilus is set as default file manager :
xfce4-places-plugin (1.5.0.1 here) does open Nautilus

xfdesktop 4.10 opens Nautilus when you open a folder from the desktop.

The trash plugin for the panel does *not* open Nautilus, but Thunar.
As a workaround, you can use a launcher in the panel which will open
"nautilus trash:///". However, you can't empty the trash with a right
click on it, and of course it doesn't update the icon (manually set)
when the trash is empty/full.

Three last things, you can do once in a terminal (the following is
*untested* and comes from this page :
http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=941891) :
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.media-handling automount true
^ So Nautilus handles auto-mounting
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.media-handling automount-open true
^ So Nautilus opens after an automount.
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.default-applications.terminal exec
/usr/bin/xfce4-terminal
^ So Nautilus opens xfce4-terminal when you use the context menu option
"Open in a terminal".