nautilus default file manager

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 25 19:53:13 CEST 2012

This doesn't get the whole job done, though. I explain below

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 10:54 AM, hha4491 <hha4491 at web.de> wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
>> I was wondering how to make nautilus the default file manager?
>
> Application (?) Menu -> Settings -> Settings -> Preferred Applications ->
> Tools
> --

I've done that, but many XFCE applications ignore that setting, so it
doesn't solve the problem entirely.

Example: I love the XFCE applet "Places", it's a thing you can
activate in the panel.  It is a bookmark access thing to open a file
manger in a given folder.  So far as I can tell, it will only open
Thunar, no matter what I have done in the preferred applications.

Don't you see that too?

In case you are going to say, "use Thunar and be happy with it", I'm
trying, but it has some weaknesses that really bother me.  Try to
rename a long file name, the small editing box is just about
unworkable for me.  Also, it doesn't show whether a directory has
files in it. That's a problem.  So until I can learn how to address
those things, I want to splice in a different file manager at every
occasion.

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science      Assoc. Director