nautilus default file manager

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Tue Oct 23 18:04:30 CEST 2012

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 10:58:42 -0400
Jonathan Nadeau <j.nadeau at charter.net> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I was wondering how to make nautilus the default file manager?

What version of Xfce do you use?

In case you are using an older version of Xfce, add the following lines
to file ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list

[Default Applications]
inode/directory=nautilus.desktop
application/x-gnome-saved-search=nautilus.desktop
application/x-mate-saved-search=nautilus.desktop
x-directory/gnome-default-handler=nautilus.desktop
x-directory/mate-default-handler=nautilus.desktop
x-directory/normal=nautilus.desktop

There should be a Nautilus entry under Preferred Applications under Xfce
4 Settings Manager where you need to select Nautilus under File Manager.
http://git.xfce.org/xfce/exo/tree/exo-helper/helpers/nautilus.desktop.in.in

If you do not want to load the Nautilus desktop then add the file
nautilus.desktop (attached) to ~/.local/share/xfce4/helpers/ or replace
it with the nautilus.desktop file located at /usr/share/xfce4/helpers/

> Also how would I make nautilus open by default when plugging in a
> removable media drive? Thanks for your time and help.

Once you execute Nautilus, it continues to run in the background.

If you like Nautilus to run in background at startup, you can add the
file nautilus-autostart.desktop (attached) to /etc/xfce/xdg/autostart/
or at /etc/xdg/autostart/and select Nautilus (if it would appear) in the
Session and Startup dialog. Note I did not try it, so I will not
assure you whether it is working or not, but it should.

Preferred Applications
$ exo-preferred-applications

Xfce 4 Settings Manager
$ xfce4-settings-manager