Notifications do not work in Xfce-4.10

v_2e at ukr.net v_2e at ukr.net
Fri May 18 15:05:05 CEST 2012

On Fri, 18 May 2012 11:51:51 +0200
killermoehre <killermoehre at gmx.net> wrote:

> Yes, there are many such daemons out there implementing all the same
> dbus interface to provide a uniform behavior to some point. Probably
> you have notification-daemon from gnome installed.

  Yes! You were right. I had 'notification-daemon' installed and
probably it wasn't working and blocked the xfce4-notifyd in some way.
  Now I searched through the installed packages and it turned out that
Gentoo repository provides a virtual package called
"virtual/notification-daemon" which can optionally depend on one of the
following packages:
    x11-misc/notification-daemon-0.7.4
    gnome-base/gnome-shell-3.2.2.1
    xfce-extra/xfce4-notifyd-0.2.2
    x11-misc/qtnotifydaemon-1.0.14
    x11-misc/notify-osd-0.9.34
    x11-wm/awesome-3.4.11
    kde-base/knotify-4.8.3
which provide the same functionality.
  So I deleted the 'x11-misc/notification-daemon' and re-installed
'xfce-extra/xfce4-notifyd' and now it works just fine! :)

  Thanks a lot!
    Vladimir

-----
 <v_2e at ukr.net>