X11 cursors

Greg Folkert greg at gregfolkert.net
Fri May 18 14:34:53 CEST 2012

I know GIMP can open and edit and save the "xmc" or X11 cursor files.

Which are typically 24x24 pixel RGB-alpha transparent 1 layer graphics.

Animated one are layered with a 40ms wait time.

Larger ones are 32x32 pixels, 48x48 pixels, 64x64 pixels... etc.

I'm sure there are other programs that can do it. Its a well known
format.

For Example on Debian SID, with Comix Cursors in stalled, here is one:

/usr/share/icons/ComixCursors-Black-Large/

There is an index file "index.theme" which contains:

[Icon Theme]
Name = Comix Cursor original Black Large Bold
Comment = The original Comix Cursors - Black Large Bold
Example = default

/usr/share/icons/ComixCursors-Black-Large/cursors

There are a lot of files.

Files like:

"d9ce0ab605698f320427677b458ad60b" which is a symlink to "help"

"help" is a 48x48 XMC file

Those are cursor classes as specified by the display systems specs
(Xorg? or freedesktop? or other?).

If you search for that specific character string, you'll find lots of
hits for "cursor" themes for various projects and distributions.

Its not hard to do cursor themes, you just need to know what you are
doing and what is required... me personally, I'm not invested enough to
actually go find the specifying entity for the things that are
required...

This should help you on your way, though.

(BTW, Jannis Pohlmann, is this helpful and wordy enough?)

greg at gregfolkert.net
PGP key 1024D/B524687C 2003-08-05
Fingerprint: E1D3 E3D7 5850 957E FED0 2B3A ED66 6971 B524 687C

"Clarity is the counterbalance of profound thoughts."
    -- Luc de Clapiers