Notifications do not work in Xfce-4.10

v_2e at ukr.net v_2e at ukr.net
Fri May 18 11:48:05 CEST 2012

On Fri, 18 May 2012 11:39:39 +0200
killermoehre <killermoehre at gmx.net> wrote:

> Am 18.05.2012 11:35, schrieb v_2e at ukr.net:
> >    Hello!
> >    I'm confused about notifications in Xfce. After some of recent
> > upgrades, they just stopped displaying.
> >    I use Gentoo GNU/Linux with Xfce-4.10 and xfce4-notifyd-0.2.2
> > installed, but I cannot understand how to start this daemon working.
> >
> >    Any ideas how to handle this? Or maybe some of you know what has
> > changed in Xfce since 4.8, for example (in this context)?
> >
> >    Thanks.
> >      Vladimir
> >
> > -----
> >   <v_2e at ukr.net>
> Hi Vladimir,
>
> this daemon starts on its own as soon as some program sends a
> dbus-call to the notification daemon dbus socket (is this a socket?
> Or something like this?)
> Did you rebuilt xfce4-notifyd against the new 4.10 libs?

  Yes, in fact, I didn't have xfce4-notifyd installed at first (it
means that I have never installed this daemon before), and then read
somewhere in the Internet that there is such tool for Xfce and
installed it as well.
  It also seems strange to me that I have never used this daemon
before, but I clearly saw the notifications on my desktop. Maybe there
are several different ways (or applications, or daemons) to display
them?

  Regards,
    Vladimir

-----