[OT] Re: Running graphical programs as root

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Mon May 14 18:10:31 CEST 2012

On Mon, 14 May 2012 08:35:49 -0700
Ray Andrews wrote:

> 'how can I turn that security OFF because I don't think I
> need it'

Security is something that never gets any recognition in the
mainstream, ironically only fixes for bad security get praised even if
the fix still isn't very secure, for most people, every so often it
becomes the most important thing in the world usually for a few days or
weeks and then forgotten again for years. ;-) For the few like OpenBSD
devs/users the most secure way is usually the right, simple and
reliable way and so there is no other way.

Security vs functionality is generally a myth so long as you or
usually they have spent time doing things right in the first place.

This is difficult for a widely usable desktop but xfce is certainly in
the right half of simple and reliable.