arrangement of desktop app launcers

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Sun May 13 16:11:29 CEST 2012

On 13/05/12 02:12 AM, houghi wrote:

> I never understood the idea of desktop icons. I have a program running and
> if I want another one, I first must close or minimize the one I am working
> on?
Me neither, I never use my desktop icons. Is there some way to disable
that entire subsystem?
> Also the restriction of one menu button is very limited and it is never on
> the importance and order that I want.
>
> So here is what I do (I have three monitors, so YMMV)
> 1) Have each monitor have its own desktops. So no Xinerama. This is the
> most important reason I run XFCE. GNOME and KDE can't do that.
I do the same, but I had no problem doing that with Gnome 2 either.
> 2) Each Monitor has 6 desktops. When I change desktops on one screen, I
> still see the others.
Me too.  There is one and only one thing I miss from Windows XP and that
is that little utility that lets you throw a window from one screen to
the other. The utility adds an extra button up by the
'close/maximize/minimize' buttons, and if you click that button, that
whole window is moved to another monitor and resized to fit.