fonts + sizes

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sun May 13 10:51:46 CEST 2012

On Sat, 12 May 2012 23:15:15 -0400
Greg Folkert <greg at gregfolkert.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 19:43 +0200, hha4491 wrote:
> > Hi,
> > as far as I can see there is only one font type and one size you
> > can select. Is that true?
> > Other window manager have several fonts for several purposes.
>
> Please remember, XFCE is not Gnome or KDE.

You keep on saying that but seriously: not being GNOME or KDE is not a
good reason/justification for anything. Especially not for things like
missing features or other inconveniences. It's like answering the
question "why does thunar crash when I do xyz?" with "because it's not
GNOME".

If you want to help others, please try to provide them with better
explanations of why (from your point of view) things are the way they
are and how they can use the existing functionality best.

To answer the original question: yes, we only allow one font to be
defined for the user interface. We (or at least I) feel that any font
variations belong into themes. Some applications like LibreOffice
may allow you to use different fonts in their UI and that is fine. But
for Xfce we've decided to stick to something simple that is supported by
GTK and other toolkits. Settings like this are negotiated across
applications via XSETTINGS it is common to only set one default font:

  http://freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/XSettingsRegistry

I hope that explains it a bit. You may disagree with this choice but we
think it is enough.

  - Jannis