limit for number of processes in an Xfce session?

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Wed May 9 12:30:19 CEST 2012

Dear all
I seem to have found a sweet bug in Xfce. It seems that Xfce is unable
to launch any program if there already exist 400 processes in the
session.

Currently I have 400 processes (as indicated by the task manager), and
launching any programme from the panel or menu will fail silently. If
I try to launch from a terminal I get a message similar to this:
root at liv-laptop:/home/liv/tmp/wd_my_passport# Thunar
Maximum number of clients reachedThunar: Cannot open display:
root at liv-laptop:/home/liv/tmp/wd_my_passport# winff
Maximum number of clients reached
(winff:30903): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0.0

Is this an Xfce or X limitation? In either case, shouldn't Xfce detect
the failure and gently inform the user of the problem? I was quite
surprised when Xfce could no longer open any application and needed
some guesswork to figure out what was happening.

I'm using Xubuntu Lucid with Xfce 4.6. Regards
Liviu

--
Do you know how to read?
http://www.alienetworks.com/srtest.cfm