Running graphical programs as root

houghi houghi at houghi.org
Sat May 5 21:23:17 CEST 2012

On Sat, May 05, 2012 at 06:28:23PM +0100, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> Well, I am surprised to get so many replies to my query. It all seems
> more complicated than I thought.

Perhaps overwelming because of the options, but hardly complicated.

> I do use the terminal screen a lot and
> I am happy with it. However, occasionally I need to make a small change
> to a text file that is owned by root. I could change the permissions via
> a terminal screen and then call up a gui text editor, (eg gedit, kate)
> to make the change. However in Kubuntu I use kdesudo before the name of
> the gui editor and have to give my password. Then I can make the
> change(s) and save the file.

I was being silly and did not look what my own openSUSE XFCE has to offer.
The command is xgd-su. It is part of the xdg-utils package.
Well, that is just a script and will run gnomesu¹, so I would say the
absolute easiest way would be to install gnomesu and use that instead of
kdesudo

houghi
--

					This space left blank intentionaly