A simple newbie question.

Gilbert Sullivan whirly.gig at hotmail.com
Sat Mar 31 00:47:34 CEST 2012

On 03/30/2012 06:29 PM, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> On 30/03/12 23:51, Michał Olber wrote:
>> W dniu 2012-03-30 23:13, Erik P. Olsen pisze:
>>> In gnome it is easy to add a launcher to the desktop by drag'ndrop
>>> from the
>>> menu onto the desktop. This method doesn't seem to work with xfce.
>>>
>>> So the question is now how do I add launchers to the desktop?
>>>
>> Rigth Mousce Click -> Create Activator. In first filed type name of
>> app you
>> want. System should show you a tips which app you want.
>
> I assume it's right click on the desktop. I then only get the
> applications menu and there is no Create Activator there. Is there
> another way to invoke Create Activator?

I'm guessing that the fact that you see only the applications menu when
you right-click on the desktop means that under Desktop Settings / Icons
/ Icon Type you have selected None. You probably need to set that to
File/Launcher Icons. That should give you the higher level desktop menu
(above Applications) that you need in order to create a Launcher.

There are also pertinent settings in the Desktop Settings / Menu dialog,
too.

Beware that I am only a relative newcomer to Linux, and that I have had
a few truly excellent beers this evening before reading your message and
posting my response. (IOW, YMMV.)

;-)

Best regards,
Gilbert