[OT-ish] userspace cpu frequency [WAS]: Re: ANNOUNCE: xfce4-power-manager 1.0.11 released

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 19:28:37 CEST 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Lorenzo Sutton
<lorenzofsutton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29/03/12 17:09, Guido Berhoerster wrote:
>>  On
>>  Linux frequency scaling is handled in-kernel so there is no need
>>  for userspace governors.
>
> Actually I think there still is, e.g. for enabling users to e.g. set a
> certain
> governor, espectially on laptops.

Ditto to that. I have an  HP dv3 laptop that often heats to 90-100C
degrees for no obvious reasons. When doing something more intensive,
it may get to 105C and if it stays there for much longer the computer
powers down. It's clearly a badly designed laptop as far as the
cooling goes (sometimes I wonder if I should use it to prepare
scrambled eggs with bacon for breakfast), and one of the few things
that helps me cool it down is the "ondemand" frequency governor.

You may want to read this older discussion on the topic [1]. Regards
Liviu

[1] http://mail.xfce.org/pipermail/xfce4-dev/2009-September/027662.html