List of CLI commands.

Albert Wagner albertwagner at cox.net
Wed Mar 28 15:15:49 CEST 2012

On 03/27/2012 07:56 PM, Ray Andrews wrote:
> On 27/03/12 12:31 PM, Albert Wagner wrote:
>
> Albert,
>> BTW, I didn't notice which distro you were running XFCE on.  On
>> Debian based systems one has the Synaptic Package Manager.  Another
>> distro would have a similar app.  In Synaptic, search on 'xfce4' and
>> note which related packages are installed. Right click for menu, then
>> select Properties --> Installed Files.  Note which are placed in a
>> bin directory.  Those should be pretty close to Gymka's list.
>> ____
> I just did that, and remember that I tried it once before, but
> strangely all I see are files in /usr/share. Nothing at all shown in
> /bin. I wonder if that's because this is LMDE-Xfce4, in other words
> Xfce is considered to be not a package, but part of the distro?
Technically, XFCE4 is always a package.  The word "distro" is somewhat
mushy.  If the distro packager pre-installs XFCE4, he thinks of XFCE4 as
just another package; But he might also describe his distro to
prospective users as his XFCE4 distro.

Also, if you are new to linux you may not realize that there are several
bin directories. Type "env" into a terminal and scroll down to a
statement called PATH.  There you will see all the possible directories
wherein a binary file might be kept.

I used Synaptic->search:xfce4->rightClick->Properties to get the
following list.  Note that all binaries are installed in /usr/bin.  I
did this on Xubuntu and therefore my list will be different from yours
on LMDE.XFCE, especially regarding plugins.  Hope this helps. Each
distro builder may tweak the package differently.

xfce4-panel
     /usr/bin/xfce4-panel
     /usr/bin/xfce4-popup-applicationsmenu
     /usr/bin/xfce4-popup-directorymenu
     /usr/bin/xfce4-popup-windowmenu
xfce4-indicator-plugin
     none
xfce4-appfinder
     /usr/bin/xfce4-appfinder
xfce4-session
     /usr/bin/xfce4-session
     /usr/bin/xfce4-session-logout
     /usr/bin/xfce4-session-settings
     /usr/bin/xfce4-tips
xfce4-systemload-plugin
     none
libxfce4util4
     none
xfce4-dict
     /usr/bin/xfce4-dict
xfce4-mixer
     /usr/bin/xfce4-mixer
libxfconf-0-2
     none
libxfcegui4-4
     none
xfce4-notes-plugin
     none
xfce4-cpugraph-plugin
     none
xfce4-mailwatch-plugin
     none
xfce4-taskmanager
     /usr/bin/xfce4-taskmanager
xfce4-smartbookmark-plugin
     none
xfce4-mount-plugin
     none
xfce4-settings
     /usr/bin/xfce4-accessibility-settings
     /usr/bin/xfce4-appearance-settings
     /usr/bin/xfce4-display-settings
     /usr/bin/xfce4-keyboard-settings
     /usr/bin/xfce4-mouse-settings
     /usr/bin/xfce4-settings-editor
     /usr/bin/xfce4-settings-helper
     /usr/bin/xfce4-settings-manager
     /usr/bin/xfsettingsd
xfce4-netload-plugin
     none
xfce4-quicklauncher-plugin
     none
xfce4-fsguard-plugin
     none
xfce4-notes
     /usr/bin/xfce4-notes
     /usr/bin/xfce4-notes-settings
     /usr/bin/xfce4-popup-notes
xfce-weather-plugin
     none
xfce-volumed
     /usr/bin/xfce4-volumed
xfce4-notifyd
     /usr/bin/xfce4-notifyd-config
xfce4-utils
     /usr/bin/startxfce4
     /usr/bin/xfbrowser4
     /usr/bin/xfce4-about
     /usr/bin/xfhelp4
     /usr/bin/xflock4
     /usr/bin/xfmountdev4
     /usr/bin/xfrun4
     /usr/bin/xfterm4
xfwm4
     /usr/bin/xfwm4
     /usr/bin/xfwm4-settings
     /usr/bin/xfwm4-tweaks-settings
     /usr/bin/xfwm4-workspace-settings
xfce4-verve-plugin
     /usr/bin/verve-focus
xfce-screenshooter
     /usr/bin/xfce4-screenshooter
xfce4-timer-plugin
     none
xfce4-terminal
     /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal
     /usr/bin/xfce4-terminal.wrapper
xfce4-places-plugin
     /usr/bin/xfce4-popup-places
libxfce4util-bin
     /usr/sbin/xfce4-kiosk-query
xfwm4-themes
     none
xfce4-power-manager-data
     none
xfce-power-manager
     /usr/bin/xfce4-power-information
     /usr/bin/xfce4-power-manager
     /usr/bin/xfce4-power-manager-settings
     /usr/sbin/xfpm-power-backlight-helper
thunar
     /usr/bin/Thunar
     /usr/bin/thunar
     /usr/bin/thunar-settings
orage
     /usr/bin/globaltime
     /usr/bin/orage
     /usr/bin/tz_convert

P.S.  I just noticed that Mint is about to release a new spin of LMDE
that includes Mate and Cinnamon.  I had deleted the earlier spin (the
one that you are probably on) to make room for another distro.  Now I
will probably reinstall LMDE.XFCE.