List of CLI commands.

Ray Andrews rayandrews at eastlink.ca
Tue Mar 27 20:42:55 CEST 2012

On 27/03/12 10:42 AM, Ahau @porteus.org wrote:
> I don't have an issue with the configs being in xml format, it's a
> widely used format and is similar to html (for obvious reasons), which
> I have some experience with.  Given that many of the config files are
> describing the layout of objects in a GUI, it makes sense to me to use
> it.  If the configs were in plain text I think it would be more
Maybe that is the reason. Perhaps the xml format contains not only
the raw 'information' for configuration, but also helps show how to
display it in the GUI. That would be logical.

> confusing in the end, and you would have to have yet another layer of
> translation between the plain text and the binaries in order to apply
> the configs in the interface.  That's my two cents, but of course I
> don't speak on behalf of the developers.

I did quite a bit of development back in DOS, and I can say that parsing
a plain text config file is very very simple. And of course most kernel
config files are plain text, so it can't be any sort of problem. But I think
you gave the right answer above :-)