General questions/conjectures about DBUS etc.

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Mar 25 00:29:29 CET 2012

On Fri, 23 Mar 2012 21:29:19 +0000
Chris Green wrote:

> With my recent problems relating to automount (or not) and some other
> things (running Calibre in particular) I'm wondering if all the reliance
> on DBUS etc, for inter-process communication is breaking 'proper' X.

Whilst IPC has it's uses. I have to say it is overused. Firefox
demands dbus for writing a simple config file causing unnecessary
problems for sandboxing. Over-engineered config file methods like
dconf, gconf also seem pointless over the classic simple and reliable
not to mention easily findable .[program name] files. Really what do
they gain us, speed and space, for tiny files? oh and an apparently
highly useful common format.

rant over, sorry