Fedora 16 XFCE - Little annoyance wrt clock

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 15:10:37 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 06:59, Christoph Wickert <
christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Yes and no: ;)
> No, There should not be one because xfce4-panel does not provide this
> functionality.
> Yes, it would be nice to have it.

Good to know someone shares my views. :)
More below:

> > It´d help usablity inmensely, IMHO. Should I fire a request for
> > enhancement?
>
> That would require PolicyKit to handle the permissions. This means it
> will not come before Xfce 4.12 because it is not allowed to add new
> dependencies now.

Sorry, I´m not following. If someone writes a call to the date or hwclock
command, what special permissions would be needed?. If those commands need
root permission, just invoke em via ksu, gksu or similar. Not doable?.

> Another problem I see is that configuring timezones is distro-specific.
> On Fedora for example it is /etc/sysconfig/clock while it
> is /etc/timezone on Debian.

But I didn´t say I wanted to change timezone. Timezone is right as it is. I
want to update the hardware clock due to dead battery.

Best regards,
FC
act
- George Orwell