Can anyone diagnose this thunar-volman error please?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Mar 17 20:50:24 CET 2012

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 06:31:04PM +0000, Ajax Criterion wrote:
> Please try to update some of your cache information, this broke
> automounting for me, and these needed to be run:
>
>   /usr/bin/glib-compile-schemas /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
>   /usr/bin/gio-querymodules /usr/lib/gio/modules

I've just run these, no change.

> Paths may be different for your distro.
>
> Also make sure you have gnome-disk-utility installed and all

The two working systems I have *don't* have gnome-disk-utility installed.

> dependencies, gvfs with all back ends, you may need avahi installed,
> and your distro probably will require gnome keyring and libgnome
> keyring, libdaemon, and several other dependencies.  run 'ldd' against
> everything you can find in this toolchain to see if any dependencies
> are missing; one missing dependency in the whole chain will kill
> automounting.

gvfs, gvfs-fuse, gvfs-bin and gvfs-backends are all installed, I can see
no differences in these between the working and non-working systems.

> make sure gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor is running as well as
> gdu-notification-daemon.  If not, ldd them (in slackware they are in
> /usr/libexec, but that might not be the case in your distro).

This is where the differences show up (which I have found before but
can't fix).  On the working systems gvfsd and lots of other gvfs
processes (including gvfs-gdu-volume-monitor) are running.  On the
non-working system there are no gvfs processes running.

However if I run (for example) gvfsd from the command line it runs
without problems, no errors.

How are gvfsd and all the other gvfs processes started?  It seems as if
that's where my problem lies.

> On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 12:48 PM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:

> >> Is udisks installed and started - this caused on my machines similar behavior.
> >>
> > Yes, it's certainly installed, and I have the following processes running:-
> >
> >    root      2481     1  0 Mar16 ?        00:00:03 /usr/lib/udisks/udisks-daemon
> >    root      2483  2481  0 Mar16 ?        00:00:10 udisks-daemon: polling /dev/sr0
> >
> > ... and when I plug in a USB stick:-
> >
> >    root      2481     1  0 Mar16 ?        00:00:03 /usr/lib/udisks/udisks-daemon
> >    root      2483  2481  0 Mar16 ?        00:00:10 udisks-daemon: polling /dev/sr0 /dev/sdd
> >

> > --
> > Chris Green

Chris Green