Can anyone diagnose this thunar-volman error please?

Chris Green cl at isbd.net
Sat Mar 17 13:48:06 CET 2012

On Sat, Mar 17, 2012 at 01:09:18PM +0100, Andreas Müller wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Chris Green <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
> > I am still trying to work out why *one* of my xubuntu 11.10 systems
> > doesn't automount USB and CD drives.
> >
> > The most obvious difference between working systems (of which I have
> > two) and the non-working system is an extra error message from
> > thunar-volman.  E.g.
> >
> > On the working systems:-
> >
> >    chris at test:~$ thunar
> >    thunar-volman: Unsupported USB device type.
> >    thunar-volman: Unsupported USB device type.
> >    thunar-volman: Unknown block device type.
> >
> >    ... and the USB drive is automounted
> >

> > On the non-working system:-
> >
> >    chris$ thunar
> >    thunar-volman: Unsupported USB device type.
> >    thunar-volman: Unsupported USB device type.
> >    thunar-volman: Unknown block device type.
> >    thunar-volman: Could not detect the volume corresponding to the device.
> >

> > So can anyone suggest why I'm getting that "Could not detect the volume
> > corresponding to the device." on the non-working system and, more to the
> > point, how can I fix it.
> >
> > It's quite possible that I have misconfigured or uninstalled something
> > necessary.  I have checked that all the obvious things like gvfs and so
> > on are the same on both systems.
> >
> Is udisks installed and started - this caused on my machines similar behavior.

Yes, it's certainly installed, and I have the following processes running:-

    root      2481     1  0 Mar16 ?        00:00:03 /usr/lib/udisks/udisks-daemon
    root      2483  2481  0 Mar16 ?        00:00:10 udisks-daemon: polling /dev/sr0

... and when I plug in a USB stick:-

    root      2481     1  0 Mar16 ?        00:00:03 /usr/lib/udisks/udisks-daemon
    root      2483  2481  0 Mar16 ?        00:00:10 udisks-daemon: polling /dev/sr0 /dev/sdd

--
Chris Green